Thursday, November 21, 2013

Mosaic

"Mosaic", Stained Glass Mosaic, 13x10"
Lest you think I've been slacking off, here's my latest (play) project.  I thought it would be interesting to see if I could translate my work to mosaic.  I was hoping to develop a technique that might be suited to large-scale public projects.  This one took ~1 day and taught me a lot.  I used my painting, Shelter, as inspiration and wasn't deliberate about the glass choice, just grabbed things that appealed to me out of the scrap glass pile at Bluemoon.

Here's what I discovered:

  • It's easy and fun to do and not terribly expensive.
  • I can't get nearly the detail that I want - at least at this size and with medium sized glass shards.
  • Subtle color differences don't read well - at least when using black grout.  
I may try another with a simpler subject and higher contrast glass.

Note: I had a lot of trouble getting a decent photo of the work, which is another thing I'd have to address if I end up doing more of these.


No comments:

Post a Comment