Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Tree Shadow

"Tree Shadow," Acrylic on Panel, 7x5"
Click here for purchase information

I find the shadows of trees almost more interesting than the trees themselves.  It has gotten to the point that I won't even collect reference unless the sun is bright -- the trees just don't seem complete without their shadows.  Or maybe I've just been watching too much Peter Pan with the kids...

I like how this one turned out a lot.  I've been volunteering for an organization called Little Artist Big Artist and as a result, I spend one afternoon a week at a local public school with an 11-year-old boy, presumably teaching him what it means to be a professional artist.

Here's what I've learned from him (so far):

  1. It can be really effective to have strong, undiluted shapes in the composition (see tree above).
  2. I've fallen into a bit of rut w/my brushwork and need to keep trying new ways to manipulate the paint (see leaf treatment above).
  3. I'm woefully out of date with my video-game knowledge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment