Friday, February 15, 2013

Classics

"Classics", Acrylic on Panel, 5x7"
Click here for purchase information

This one is ok, but I had a lot more fun painting the rug than the books themselves.  The volumes of The Good Earth and Pride and Prejudice are some of those classic, cloth-covered books - the ones with brittle, yellow pages and a musty smell.  One was a gift and the other, I have to admit, I never got around to returning to my high-school library...

As I continue to do these, I'm learning several things that are going to spur me to visit Half Price Books this weekend.

Paintings of books are more interesting when:

  • The books are hard cover - more substantial and easier to put in interesting positions.
  • The covers have interesting patterns and/or text treatment.
  • They still have dust covers (the more beaten up, the better).
More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment