Saturday, April 20, 2013

Wind

"Wind", Acrylic on Panel, 30x40"
I said that I'd post my big painting when it was completed, so here it is.  I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  There is a ton of detail, which is hard to see when the image is this small.  I borrowed some of the techniques from the 'thread' daily paintings.

I've had a number of people compare my work to Van Gogh, which I find vaguely unsettling.  I love van Gogh's work, but I bristle a bit at the idea of my own work being derivative.  I don't intend to imitate the impressionists, but find myself drawn to the bright colors and loose brushwork.  What I like best about Van Gogh is the way his brushwork evokes movement.  I suppose there are elements of this in my own paintings.  One of the reasons I love painting trees is that they always seem like they're in motion.  I try to capture this kinetic energy in my images.


No comments:

Post a Comment